• Where can I pick up registration forms?

    Online registration is now available!

    Forms are available at the Watauga County Parks and Recreation office and online.please click here


    to create a household account and register for programs. All forms must be submitted to the Watauga County Parks and Recreation office by the particular registration deadline date.

  • Adult Athletics

  • How do I sign up for an adult athletic team?

    The registration forms must be turned in a the Watauga County Parks and Recreation office. Team registration is accepted for adult athletics. Our athletic staff attempts to assist individuals who want to join a team when possible. The registration fees range from $250.00-$550.00 per team.

  • Appalcart Stop

  • Is there an Appalcart stop near your location, where is it located, and what times are offered?

    The Appalcart runs at the ASU Annex - Parks & Recreation - State Farm Rd stop at .06 and .36 minutes on the hour under the Red Appalcart.

  • Arts and Crafts

  • What type of arts and crafts do you offer?

    We offer seasonal art and craft workshops for children, senior citizens, and special populations. These range from easy hour-long activities to difficult day-long projects.

  • Children's Programs

  • What programs do you have for children?

    Athletic Programs: 3rd & 4th and 5th & 6th grade football, soccer, 5-15 year tennis , 5th/6th basketball, baseball (t-ball - 15u, basketballclinics, lacrosse clinics, volleyball clinics, soccer camps, rugby camps. 7-14 year softball, dance/ballet.

    Children's Camps: Summer Adventure Day Camp, and Fun in the Sun Summer Day Camp.

    Arts:Programs for special populations Special Olympics and cultural programs and art workshops.

    Swim Lessons: Parent/Infant 6-18 month, Parent/Toddler 18 month-3 years, Group lessons 3 years +

  • Coaching

  • How do I volunteer to be a coach?

    Contact Holly Gates, Athletic Director or , Recreation Specialist 1. They both oversee various youth athletic programs and are always in need of volunteer coaches.



  • Conflicts with sports and swimming lessons

  • Is there a conflict with playing sports such as T-ball and having swim lessons?

    Yes there is. However, the swim lessons only last 2 weeks. The participants would only miss 4-5 days worth of practices and/or games.

  • Facilities and Equipment

  • What facilities and/or equipment can be reserved by the public?

    Complex Tot Lot Picnic Shelter (6 tables),

    Howard's Knob Picnic Shelter (6 tables),

    Industrial Picnic Shelter (4 tables),

    Old Cove Creek School Shelter (9 tables), Wynne Picnic Shelter (4 tables),

    Wilson Picnic Shelter (4 tables),

    Old Cove Creek Gym,

    Small or Large Industrial Field,

    Complex Softball Field,

  • Jobs

  • How do I apply for a job?

    The Recreation Office and Swim Complex accept seasonal job applications at various times during the year.  Check the employment page on the County's homepage to view open job opportunities. Come by the office or complex pool to complete and submit an application.

  • Locations

  • Where is the Watauga Community Recreation Center?

    The Watauga Community Recreation Center is located off State Farm near the Fire Department. Turn off of State Farm onto MLK Drive. You will take the first left onto Complex Drive. The road will lead you into a large parking lot. The WCRC is located at the end of the parking lot.

  • Locations

  • Where are your facilities and fields located?

    Watauga Community Recreation Center (231 Complex Drive, Boone, 28607)

    Tot Lot Playground (141 Complex Drive, Boone, 28607) - in front of the Swim Complex

    Ted Mackorell Soccer Complex (492 Brookshire Road, Boone, 28607)

    Brookshire Park (250 Brookshire Road, Boone, 28607)

    Old Cove Creek School (207 Dale Adams Road, Sugar Grove, 28679)

    Rocky Knob Mountain Bike Park and Playground (285 Mountain Bike Way, Boone, 28607)

    Valle Crucis Park (2918 Broadstone Road, Valle Crucis, 28691) - Behind the Original and Anex Mast General Stores.

    Blowing Rock Davant Field (245 Clark Street, Blowing Rock, 28605)

    Mountaineer Ruritan Field - located behind Mountaineer Ruritan Building and Sugar Grove Post office off of Hwy 321 North in Sugar Grove.

  • Membership Questions

  • Who is considered a resident at the WCRC?

    Anyone who is paying property taxes to Watauga County is considered a resident. In order to sign up with a membership an individual will need to bring a proof a residency. Proof of residency can be a drivers license, property tax bill, lease agreement, or utility bill.

  • Officials

  • How do I become an official?

    Officiating clinics are held prior to the beginning of each sport's season to train officials.  Officials are required to attend the training(s) for each sport they wish to officiate.  The baseball and softball officiating clinics are typically held in late March; the soccer officiating clinic is held in late August; the basketball officiating clinic is held in September; and the volleyball officiating clinic is held in September.  Call Watauga County Parks and Recreation for specific dates.

  • Payment

  • What type of payment does Watauga County Parks and Recreation accept?

    Watauga County Parks and Recreation accepts cash, check, debit, Master Card, Visa, American Express, ApplePay and Discover Card. Payment is due upon registration for a program or event.

  • Pool

  • Is your pool heated? What is the temperature?

    Our lap pool is 81 - 82 degrees and our public swim pools are 85 - 86 degrees.

  • Program Registration

  • How do you register for a program?

    Registration may be made online at https://rec.watgov.org. Participants may complete a registration form and register in person at the WCRC front desk during open hours. Registration forms may also be submitted by mail to WCP&R,  231 Complex Drive, Boone, NC  28607.  Full payment of the registration fee must accompany the registration form. 

    Watauga County Parks and Recreation accepts cash, check, Master Card or Visa. 

    Several of our programs have limited space and we encourage you to come by early and sign up for the programs we offer.

  • Public Reserve Facilities and Equipment

  • How does the public reserve facilities and recreational equipment?

    Reservations of designated Parks and Recreation Facilities are available to the public from 7:00am-11:00pm.  All facilities and equipment rental must be reserved by coming by the Watauga Community Recreation Center or online and completing a reservation application. This entitles the user(s) to the shelters/fields during the times in which he/she have rented. NO ONE HAS EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS TO THE PARKS DURING THEIR RESERVATION TIME, ONLY TO THE SHELTER AND/OR FIELDS. THE PARKS ARE ALWAYS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! The fees vary depending on what is being reserved:  Picnic Shelters - $25-50/hr. Field Rental - $25/hr. for recreational play . Additional charges may apply for out of county residents or other "extras";

  • Senior Citizens

  • What do you offer for Senior Citizens?

    Watauga County Parks and Recreation, in cooperation with the local senior centers, host the annual High Country Senior Games.  The High Country Senior Games is for participants 50 years of age and better.  The Games are open to residents of Watauga, Avery, Ashe, Mitchell, and Yancey Counties.  Over 52 athletic and art competitions are offered.  These events include golf, track and field, basketball shooting, softball throw, football throw, bocce, corn hole, table tennis, tennis (singles and doubles), bowling (singles and doubles), horseshoes, race walking, billiards, cycling, racquetball, shuffleboard, softball tournament, basketball tournament, spin casting, swimming, visual arts, performing arts, literary arts and heritage arts.

    The High Country Senior Games is a part of the North Carolina Senior Games and the National Senior Olympics.  Those who participate locally have the opportunity to qualify for the North Carolina State Finals held annually in Raleigh, NC.  For more information on Senior Games, visit www.ncseniorgames.org

    The swim complex offers water exercise class for senior exercise.

  • Special Olympics

  • How can I help with Special Olympics?

    Keron Poteat at the Recreation Department is the local coordinator for Special Olympics in Watauga County. Contact her to volunteer and assist in the many wonderful programs that are offered year-round for the special populations. During Special Olympics coaches are needed. The coaches must have strong commitment to working and training athletes in various sports including tennis, track and field, basketball, aquatics, roller skating, volleyball, gymnastics, softball, bocce, soccer, equestrian and cycling. Fundraising is always needed to provide funds to local Special Olympics. Events include bake sales, car washing, tournaments, etc. Administrative/Data Processing skills are wanted to enter forms of participates and coaches into the database. Marketing/Development is needed to create awareness of Special Olympics through press releases, civic appearances, developing brochures, video (BIG NEED), and promotions. Trainers who will assist in administrating weekly fitness programs for Special Olympians. Alpine Games are the Winter Special Olympics held at Appalachian Ski Mountain (January and February). Need on front volunteers to help with lower level athletes during game competitions, awards presentation, hospitality, etc. The Spring Games are at the high school and would need people to help run the sports.

  • Special Populations

  • What do you offer for special populations?

    Special Olympics, High Country Senior Games, and art workshops.

  • Sponsoring

  • How can I sponsor an event?

    Watauga County Parks and Recreation relies on local businesses/organizations to sponsor youth athletic teams to make registration affordable for all participants.  Anyone wanting to sponsor an athletic team or needing more information should contact Holly Gates  at 828-264-9511.  Businesses/organizations may sponsor youth basketball, youth baseball and softball and youth soccer teams as well as youth basketball leagues and High Country Senior Games.  Businesses/organizations who sponsor youth teams will have their logo printed on the team's jerseys. 


  • Swim Lessons

  • When do you offer swim lessons and how do you register?

    The Watauga Community Recreation Center offers swim lessons in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. The WCRC offers Youth,  Parent/Infant, Parent/Toddler and Adult Swim Lessons.  The registration forms are available online, at the Watauga Community Recreation Center. We offer group swim lessons and private swim lessons.

  • Volunteering

  • How can I volunteer?

    Watauga County Parks and Recreation has a variety of volunteer opportunities. Call Holly Gates or Keron Poteat for additional information.  Volunteer opportunities include youth soccer, basketball, and baseball coaches; Special Olympics coaches; Special Olympic event volunteers; Senior Games event volunteers; WCP&R marketing/development; Alpine Games staff, and more!