• How do you qualify for the Community Alternatives Program (CAP)?

    Client must qualify for Nursing Home level of care (SNF or ICF); must be 18 or over; must qualify for full Medicaid; must need help with personal care; must have informal support.

  • Where do I need to go to apply for Medicaid?

    Watauga County Department of Social Services.

  • How do I get started for CAP services?

    Call the Project on Aging and speak with a Case Manager. A Service Request Form must be completed by the physician and approved by the state.  Your physician will also need to verify the accuracy of the information on the request form.

  • How do you refer to someone for CAP / In-Home Aide / Home Delivered Meals?

    Call the Project on Aging and speak with a social worker.

  • What activities do you offer at the Senior Center?

    The Senior Center offers many activities for the 60+ population.
    See Senior Center activities.

  • Do you have to be homebound to receive services?

    No for all services except Home Delivered Meals.

  • How much do you charge for your services?

    No charges for services.  However, we encourage clients to provide contributions to help cover the cost of services.

  • Do you have a list of people/sitters who would stay with someone?

    No - see In-Home Aide for a list of Home Care Agencies.

  • Does Social Security meet at the Senior Center?

    No, Social Security does not come to the Senior Center effective May 13, 2011.  For information please call the Wilkesboro office at 1-866-331-2298 or online at www.ssa.gov.

  • Do you offer tax assistance?

    Yes, by appointment only at the Lois E. Harrill Senior Center and the Western Watauga Community Center beginning in February.  Please call for appointment or additional information.

  • What is the phone number for the Cove Creek Center (Western Watauga Community Center)?

    (828) 297-5195

  • What is the phone number for Social Services?

    (828) 265-8100

  • Where are you located? Could you give me directions?

    132 Poplar Grove Connector Suite A, Boone, NC. See map for directions.

  • What age do you have to be to receive services?

    60+ - for In-Home Aide, Home Delivered Meals, Congregate Nutrition, Transportation and Senior Care.
    18+ - for Community Alternatives Program (CAP).

  • Do you serve lunch? What time? How much is it?

    Yes. Lois E. Harrill at 12 noon, M-F
    Western Watauga Community Center at 11:30 M-F
    No charge but donations are encouraged.

  • What are you serving today?

    See the menu.

  • Do you provide transportation?

    Yes, through In-Home Aide services and AppalCart.

  • What does your income have to be to receive services?

    CAP services - must be eligible for Medicaid. All other services not based on income.

  • Can you send an In-home Aide every day?

    No - unless CAP services. In-Home Aide services -maximum is 4 hours every week. Services usually start at 2 - 4 hours every other week.  Weekly services are generally reserved for individuals needing help with personal care (bathing, dressing, etc.)

  • Where can I get information about institutional care?

    Call Department of Social Services at (828) 265-8100.

  • Is there an Adult Day Care in Watauga County?

    No, not at this time. The High Country Area Agency on Aging sponsors a group respite program.  Call 828-265-5434 for more information.

  • Do you provide transportation outside of Watauga County?